Sunday 7 July 2013

Whole Foods Store and New Plants!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, even though I said I would! Things got a bit busy.

I started writing a post about my first visit to Whole Foods, so I'll continue..

A few months back me and the boyfriend decided to visit the Whole Foods store nearest to me, which is Giffnock, Glasgow.

(picture from http://stirlingretail.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/whole-foods-giffnock-apples-or-pears/)

It took some planning to figure out which busses to get from Glasgow City centre to Giffnock, but thankfully, there was a bus which took us straight to the door. By car was a nightmare!
I was majorly excited to go here, I think I almost got ran over about five times trying to cross the umpteen roads that seemed to be between the bus stop and the store.. But it was worth it.
Upon entering the store, I remember it being almost like a scene from a movie, where the guy sees the woman of his dreams and a big shining light is around them. I was stunned by the amount of veggies that were presented in front of me, some I'd never even seen before; smoked garlic, white asparagus, many types of lettuce! 
I grabbed a basket, thankfully one of those wheelie baskets you usually only see abroad (good thinking guys!), and made my way around the store. After spending about 20-30 minutes looking at the veg alone, we moved on to the fish/meat section, passing the cool coffee bean/nut/cereal dispensers with your choice of jar to hold it in (gazed in awe at it for a while, it was pretty cool). Now, I don't eat meat, or fish, obviously, but being a previous meat/fish eater, it was cool to see some different fishes/meat cuts that I'd never seen before, and it was all prepared and presented so nicely. 
Then we turned the corner and were presented by colourful juices and waters, which again, I looked at for what felt like hours, fascinated, but it was what was next to this juice display that I was interested in.. Vegan food.
All the vegan glory you could imagine, tofutti, tofurky, vegusto, Amy's kitchen, tempeh, so much stuff I'd heard of and never seen before, I felt in my element. I packed my basket with as much as I could afford. 
Aside from this, I bought a few other things, a small tub of dairy-free icecream (far too expensive though), some fish-free fingers, coconut water and chocolate. I didn't get the best look around the place first time, but I went back a few weeks later and loved it twice as much (probably down to the fact I had more money and time).

I advise everyone, vegan, veggie, or meat eater, to go visit your nearest Whole Foods, check http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com to find your nearest one! & I hope you enjoy it as much as me!

- - -
On another subject, I've been planting veggies, well, I planted them ages ago, and I've never really grew anything apart from cress, parsley, coriander and mint all my life, so this was new for me.





All growing incredibly well.
Strawberries, chives, onions, purple broccoli, lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, radishes. 
I also made chive flower vinegar with the chive flowers, but more on that on a different post!








No comments:

Post a Comment